Ukrainian Nuclear Society is the largest public nuclear science and technology organization that brings together key enterprises and academic institutions ofnuclear industry of Ukraine.
The history of the Ukrainian Nuclear Society is inseparable from the history of the nuclear industry of Ukraine. When the industrial growth had begun on the territory of our country, more and more young people went to the nuclear industry and became qualified specialists. They were faced of questions of rising and developing of nuclear industry in Ukraine. Particularly, the possibility of communication and knowledge exchanging were the main reasons for creation of society organization.
The idea was accepted by a lot of people. Industry workers, university professors, public activists from all over the country had begun to form the organization. Among them were such persons as Vladimir Fuks, Boris Prister – Former director of National Research Institute of Agricultural Radiology, Nikolay Shteynberg – Former director of State Nuclear Regulatory Inspectorate of Ukraine, Bogdan Sokolovsky – assistant professor of Lviv National University and others.
On 3th September 1992 43 representatives from all over the country decided to create a nuclear non-government organization – Ukrainian Nuclear Society. Victor Sapronov – Former director of Khmelnitsky NPP – became the first director of organization.
From that moment, society has been helping to solve a lot of scientific, industry and social problems related to nuclear industry of Ukraine. Nowadays society continues to develop despite the fact of huge economical problems in our country. Tens of students and workers become members of society every year. Now society includes veterans section, youth section and audit committee. Society organizes a large number of activities during every year
Organization actively cooperates with a lot of industrial companies. The main ranges of work are scientific support of nuclear industry, solving of “chernobyl” problems, developing and popularization nuclear safety culture in our country. We pay great attention to work with public and media, the organization and holding Youth International Nuclear Forum in Ukraine. Society takes part in preparation of the future specialists for nuclear industry too.
During this time we had established contacts with international organizations and companies, for example, European Nuclear Society, «Duke Engineering and Services», «Westinghouse», «Skoda», «Siemens KWU».
- September 3, 1992 – First Meeting of Ukrainian Nuclear Society. Charter was approved and first president was chosen.
- Feburary 25, 1993 – First regular meeting in Kiev Research Institute «Energoproject».
- April 1, 1993 – Registration in Ministry of Justice of Ukraine.
- September 7, 1993 –. Registration of periodical newspaper «UkrNS Messenger»
- October, 1993 – First International UkrNS Conference “Ecology of NPP”.
- March 26, 1996 – First UkrNS seminar “Nuclear industry and women”.
- November, 1998 – press club “Energya” was created.
- December 1, 2000 – UkrNS members took part in celebration related to anniversary of GOELRO plan in Moscow city.
- October 29, 2002 – International seminar “Ecological and safety problems in NPP regions”.
- October 25, 2005 – International UkrNS conference “The ways of nuclear energy development in Ukraine”.
- September 26, 2007 – UkrNS took part in V International Energy Forum in Kiev city.
- November 9, 2008 – UkrNS President and Executive Secretary took part in winter ANS (American Nuclear Society) conference “Nuclear Power – Ready, Steady, Go”.
- September, 2012 – celebration related to UkrNS 20th anniversary.
- June 9, 2015 – I Youth International Nuclear Forum in Netishyn.
- June 9, 2016 – II Youth International Nuclear Forum in Netishyn.